Sunday, March 28, 2010

Some Rights Reserved

Creative Commons is a nonprofit organization that exists to increase the “common” body of work that is available to the public for free and legal sharing, use, repurposing, and remixing, as alternatives to full copyright. They grant licenses that work alongside copyright to provide a range of possibilities between full copyright and the public domain, calling the option a “some rights reserved” copyright.

There are six main types of Creative Commons licensing, ranging the from the most accommodating (Attribution) to the most restrictive (Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives). The four other types that fall in the middle include: Attribution Share Alike, Attribution No Derivatives, Attribution Non-Commercial, and Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike. The main concepts of these terms are described below.
  • Attribution gives others permission to copy, distribute or display your work (or work based on it) that has a copyrighted, providing they give you credit.
  • Noncommercial is very similar to attribution, but is further limited because it can only be used for noncommercial purposes.
  • No Derivative Works is similar to attribution, except the permission it is limited to exact copies only.
  • Share Alike permits distribution of derivative works only under a license identical to the license that governs your work.


This is a example of a photo with an Attribution Non-Comercial license.  I was looking for inspiration for my next Ukranian egg, but when I came upon this photo, I couldn't resist posting it.  The photographer, highbloom, commented that he took the shot in passing, that he didn't have time to enter the Pysanky Museum in the city of Kolomiya, Ukraine.  I can't imagine passing this opportunity by!  As Easter approaches, my new dyes are mixed, fresh wax waits in my stylus and my candleholders, and as I search for design inspirations, I would love to feast my eyes on what lies within these walls!

1 comment:

  1. Susan,

    I hope you get the chance to check out the museum some time. The dinosaur-sided egg is just gorgeous. I hope that yours turn out well too.

    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete